Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Event 3 at Hammer museum

My friends and I used to make some jokes about Hammer museum that there would be so many different kinds of hammers displayed because of its name. However, after I visited this museum, Hammer museum became my favorite. Even though taking photos is not allowed here, I still enjoyed spending time at the museum with the free admission. The first reason why it became my favorite place is it was not boring on November 14th.


(The statue I found in front of the exhibition.
 If you look closely the statue is sticking out its tongue with popped eyes. )

The paintings I saw remind me of the materials I learned from the lecture videos and readings. We learned about robotics+art and space+art. What remained in my head is the pictures of space craft lighted with electricity. It was interesting how artists add lights and used electricity to their pictures. Most of the pictures displayed in the general museum are made of paints and other art supplies. The actual pictures in this museum was shining. I was sad I could not take a photo of it, but it's okay.

               

What captured my eyes was the art work by the British artist Mark Leckey. This exhibition was his first solo presentation in US. His presentation called "On Pleasure Bent" showed a picture of a man who dressed as a woman. He was wearing a dotted hat with a dotted dress (it is the photo underneath this paragraph). He tried to visualize his memory and his personal experience. His idea originated from the images of memory and personal pleasure, desires, and thoughts. It gives a great example on how culture shapes technology from past to present.

Following photos are the ones that made may day at Hammer museum.

2013-08-13-Transfiguration.jpg
by Mark Leckey


(The photo contains the big, red banner of "End White Supremacy")

(Hammer museum had a table tennis set up. The dark green table and the red racket matched with the colorful curtains at the back. It was my favorite part of the museum.)




The last four photos were taken in front of the big, colorful, and unique wall inside the building. It looks like some kind of ancient building. It reminds me of a pyramid. It was an honor to explore such famous and beautiful art works. I did not expect a lot, but I gained knowledge about art works and I actually lost track of time looking around. Now, every time I pass Wilshire blvd, I recommend my friends to go visit the Hammer museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment