Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Event 2 at Fowler museum

On November 14th, I visited Fowler museum at UCLA, one of our UCLA's source of proud. At this time, Fowler had a program called "Fowler at Fifty" which was to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the museum. They opened eight exhibitions and had thousands of art work collections.


 My favorite unit was where I could see the Maori section. I was in New Zealand when I was ten and had amazing experience with Maori traditions and its culture. Maori is the native group in NZ. I was glad to see so many familiar collections, for example, statues, cloaks, little dolls, accessories, and other ethnological collections.

(Maori art collections)

On the other hand, I saw Wunderkammer. It had eccentric and exotic collection which were unfamiliar  and new to me. It is divided into big three categories, naturalia (flora and fauna), artificialia (man-made objects), and mirabilia (about wondrous nature). These materials were popular to merchants around 16th century. Wunderkammer is made for the dedication to the origin of America. There were symbols and dolls made of wood to represent their spiritual contribution and ancient culture at that significant era. 

(The Indigenous America displayed in Wunderkammer section)

The reason why I was so impressed with these unfamiliar creations is because they represent and show how the old days or the past was like. We can imagine how America was like long time ago and how Native people wear their clothes, what they believed in, what they eat, and so on.

(These photos show how a woman and a man wore and decorate themselves)

Last of all, I was so happy that we are privileged to explore such events at our school. I have been busy attending classes without enjoying spending time to learn knowledge and moreover to get impressions on how people describe and depict their culture through the art. I hope more people visit Fowler museum to take a rest with precious art works and art pieces.

The end

No comments:

Post a Comment